School is back in session and that means families might be feeling a bit overwhelmed by all that’s on their plate…but smart devices and technology can help! Tech Lifestyle Expert Carley Knobloch partnered with a few of her favorite brands to help busy moms and dads stay connected and simplify their lives.
Check out these cool and safe headphones for moms on-the-go!
AfterShokz provides moms with a comfortable and safe way of listening to music. Unlike conventional headphones and earbuds that sit in or on your ears and use the eardrum to transmit sound, Trekz Air sit outside the ears and transmit sound through the listener’s cheekbone to the inner ear, leaving the ear canal open. Whether mom is outside for a walk with the baby, driving carpool or working out with friends, she’ll be able to remain alert and aware of ambient sounds whiling enjoying music or talking on the phone. Boasting Bluetooth 4.2 connectivity, PremiumPitchTMtechnology and dual noise-cancelling microphones, Trekz Air pack powerful features in a functional, flexible and featherweight design that’s perfect for the on-the-go mom!
- Priced at $149.95.
- Available for purchase at www.aftershokz.com, Best Buy, REI, Target and local running stores nationwide.
- For more information, visit www.aftershokz.com.
Twitter: www.twitter.com/aftershokz #BeOpen #AirInAction
This entertainment app is a must-have for the entire family!
WEYV is an app with music, magazines, children’s e-books and soon podcasts all in one experience. Designed with families in mind, WEYV has content for everyone in your family. This includes a full catalog of music and magazines for you and your kids including People, Real Simple, Working Mother, Cricket, Highlights and Sports Illustrated for Kids. In WEYV you can create private groups where your entire family can collaborate on reading lists and playlists and share content. WEYV is offering 2 months of the family plan absolutely free. Sign-up at WEYV.com and enter promo code BTSMOM. Then download WEYV from the App Store or Google Play.
- Subscriptions start at $9.99 per month.
- Available for purchase at www.weyv.com and download the app from the App Store or Google Play.
- For more information, visit www.weyv.com.
Twitter: www.twitter.com/weyv_app #makeWEYVs #WEYV
Moms and dads can easily change their home’s ambiance to support homework time and their family’s daily routines with this smart lighting system.
Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance Starter Kit
With Philips Hue, you can easily control your lighting and create the right ambiance for every moment.
Choose from 16 million colors and every shade of white light in the Hue app. Turn on the “Concentrate” scene, a crisp, white light, when you want your kids to focus on their homework. Set a comfortable ambiance for story time with the “Read” light scene. Or even use light to get your family on a regular bedtime routine and help ease them to sleep.
- Priced at MSRP $199.99.
- Available for purchase at Amazon.com, Best Buy, The Home Depot and MeetHue.com among others.
- For more information, visit www.meethue.com/en-us/back-to-school.
Twitter: www.twitter.com/tweethue #MyHue #PhilipsHue
Keep your personal information and children safe online with these useful tips from Allstate.
Allstate’s Hidden World of Data Website
With 73% of kids owning a personal smartphone, most parents are wondering how to keep their children safe online, especially with the new school year approaching. HiddenWorldOfData.com, Allstate’s new and easily accessible digital safety tool, makes digital safety more attainable than ever. HWOD.com shares strategies to help parents protect their kids and make smart choices online.
Here are the top four digital safety tips for back-to-school season from Allstate:
- Protect your family’s digital footprints just like you would with any other asset. Whenever you do anything online – like post to social media – you could be leaving behind a trail of your personal data. We call this a digital footprint. Try to manage your family’s digital footprints by watching how much your children share online – from location details to upcoming events – to keep them safer.
- Check your children’s location services. Some apps help parents know where their children are at all times. Location services can improve transparency, but make sure your kids know to hold off on posting to social media where they’ve been until they’re safe at home with you.
- Make back-to-school online shopping a family event. Back-to-school shopping can be one of the best parts of prepping for a new school year. As your kids browse for their new favorite sneakers, be sure to help them browse trusted websites at home and always click “checkout as guest,” if you don’t need the site to store your credit card info.
- Strength in numbers, letters and symbols. If your child’s device doesn’t have a password manager, but you want to create a strong password that’s hard to crack, follow these tips:
- Avoid common words
- Use a combination of upper and lowercase letters
- Include numbers and special characters (!@#$)
- The password should be 10 characters long at a minimum
- From selfies to self-awareness, monitor your family’s social sharing. Before allowing your children to open up a social media account, be sure to brief them on details that should be excluded from their pages, like birth date, hometown and email addresses.
- For more information, visit www.hiddenworldofdata.com.
Moms who work from home will love this all-in-one printer!
The Brother INKvestment Tank Printer
The Brother INKvestment Tank MFC-J995DW compact all-in-one printer delivers up to one year of ink in box without the need to replace cartridges, making it an optimal choice for home and small offices. INKvestment Tank inkjet printers use clean, familiar cartridges that now hold more ink and work with a re-engineered internal ink storage tank to deliver up to 150 worry-free pages per month. Sign up for automatic delivery of super or ultra-high yield replacement cartridges based on your printing volume through Brother Refresh, Amazon Dash Auto-Replenishment or Best Buy Easy Replenish to receive your correct ink order before you run out.
- Priced at $199.99.
- Available for purchase through mass retailers, such as Staples, Best Buy, Amazon, Office Depot, online and in stores.
- For more information, visit www.brother-usa.com/inkvestment-tank.